Donnini Court

Afbeelding invoegenAyrshire’s regular infantry regiment, the Royal Scots Fusiliers, was based at Ayr Barracks in 1873. In 1942, the facility was renamed the Churchill Barracks in honour of the wartime Prime Minister, Winston Churchill. After amalgamation in 1959 with the Highland Light Infantry, the new Royal Highland Fusiliers moved to an Edinburgh base. The Churchill Barracks were demolished in the early 1960s. 
(Source: Link )

Other redundant buildings were demolished at the same time to promote economic development of the site though this did not happen until the 1990s. The site now houses the Citadel Leisure Centre and several blocks of flats. 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 Afbeelding invoegenThe residence Donnini Court was named in honour of Fusilier Dennis Donnini VC, a young soldier who was based at the Churchill Barracks during the Second World War. He played a key part in the Allied action in the Netherlands, displaying outstanding courage and commitment. Although wounded twice, he was instrumental in his platoon’s capture of an important position while outnumbered by more than two to one. He died when a German bullet hit one of his grenades. He was only nineteen.

                           
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
                                                             © Copyright Mary and Angus Hogg and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.